Waterfront Compliance Committee
- Committee meeting dates or days/time: When required. Typically two times annually.
- Committee meeting minutes (if available): Not required
The Waterfront Compliance Committee is a standing committee, tasked with assuring that the waterfront leases (grounds, bulkheads, piers, dock and other structures in the adjacent water) are maintained in good condition and in compliance with the Waterfront Leases, meetings are held as needed.
The waterfront compliance committee shall consist of five members, each serving a two-year term starting from their appointment date. The city council will select and approve appointees through a majority vote, and they may also remove appointees through the same process.
Duties of the committee shall be set by the mayor and approved by the council.
- Hurricane Harvey heavily damaged a lot of the piers. Most of them have been repaired with only a few still remaining
Issues & Recommendations
- One of the largest violations is maintaining the lease numbers. The committee recommends that the City of Clear Lake Shores procure a complete set of tags for all of the lessees and then have them installed by the WFCC or the City.
Residents of the island are eligible to lease waterfront property from the city and make certain improvements on them. At this time, all waterfront property is leased. Leases run for a ten year period and were all due for renewal in 2013. A current list of leases may be obtained from City Hall. Leases may be transferred along with a home when it is sold or to another resident. Any lessee who ceases to become a resident will forfeit that lease back to the city. The city will auction leases that have been forfeited due to non-residency, non-payment, or neglect as needed. The lease agreement specifically states the responsibility of the lessee. Those responsibilities include maintaining the bulkhead and any improvements such as pilings and piers and keeping the land area clear of trash, weeds, and clutter, including water toys and small boats.
The annual lease fee is $7.10 per linear ft. Leases may be transferred between residents for $300.00. The transfer of a lease requires a 30 day waiting period wherein it’s posted on the City website and or any other posting site deemed appropriate.
Contractors registered with the city to do bulkhead/pier construction:
- Bulkhead and Pier: 281-381-1009 (Ed Berry)
- Lozano Bulkhead and Piers: 281-773-6434 (Troy Faircloth)
- Marine Incorporated: 281334-1655 (James Flanagan)
- RS Kennemore: 713-302-1703 (Steve Kennemore)
Download Waterfront Bid Packet
The Waterfront Compliance Committee and the City of Clear Lake Shores want to thank all waterfront leaseholders for their investment and dedication in our community, and for taking an active role in the preservation and beautification of our city.
The waterfront areas are a great asset to our community and the City would like to remind all waterfront leaseholders to make sure their property didn’t suffer freeze damage due to Winter Storm Uri. Please check water and irrigation lines for potential damage and remove or trim freeze-damaged plants.
As summer approaches, it is important to ensure that your property is maintained in good condition and in compliance with the waterfront leases.
Please make repairs as needed:
- Repair bulkheads, piers, docks and other structural issues.
- Make sure bollards are 6’ from the roadway.
- Remove barricades, fire pits, extra tables and chairs to keep the water view beautiful for all to enjoy.
- Furniture must be anchored.
- Keep the land area clear of trash, weeds, and clutter, including water toys and small boats.
- Make sure your lease number is located on your property line.
For additional information, please contact Waterfront Committee Chair Don Milbauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Building Inspector Kevin Harrell at email@example.com