Clear Lake Shores is a great place to enjoy a golf cart ride. Residents and visitors use this method of transportation to explore our city and be part of our unique festivities.
Here is a list of things you should know concerning safety and rules and regulations while using your golf cart:
- A golf cart is a motor vehicle designed by the manufacturer primarily for use on a golf course.
- TxDMV does not title and register golf carts, but they must display a license plate when operated on roads authorized by the city or county. The City of Clear Lake Shores currently does not require a license plate. However, a license plate is required if you travel outside the city or to cross a state highway, such as FM2094.
- To obtain a license place, take the following to your county tax assessor-collector’s office:
- Form 130-U
- Evidence of ownership
- Remember: While golf carts don’t require insurance to register them, they do require insurance to be operated on the roadway and you must carry the insurance with you!
- Golf carts may be operated on roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less, during the daytime.
- Golf carts may be operated only by persons with a valid driver’s license.
Golf Carts must have the following minimum equipment:
- Tail lights
- Parking brake
- Slow-moving vehicle emblem (If operated on the roads at a speed of 25 mph or less)
These regulations also apply to ATVs, ROVs, and UTVs. You can find the guidelines for golf carts and other low-speed vehicles at www.txdmv.gov under the unique vehicles tab.